20130829-231118.jpg

Their are so many different labels and meanings behind the label it gets very confusing now that I am reading every label I want to consume. Here is the lingo…

100% Organic
All ingredients must be certified organic, and processing aids must be organic as well. The name of the certifying agent must be on the label which may carry the USDA as well.

Organic
Products must contain at least 95% certified organic ingredients. The remaining 5% (except salt and water) along with any non organic processing aids such as (chlorine to wash packaging equipment). Must be from a national list of substances the USDA has approved for use in organics. This product may carry a USDA seal.

Made with Organic
Packaging can’t include the USDA seal, but at least 70% of the product must be certified organic. Non agricultural ingredients must come from the national list.

Organic Ingredients
Below 70% organic, the product can’t claim on its packaging that its organic, except to list specific certified organic ingredients on the informational panel.

Natural
The USDA says that meat, poultry, and eggs labeled wiTh this word must have no artificial ingredients and be minimally processed. But the term isn’t defined beyond those items. Assume “natural” means conventional

Fair Trade
Non government organizations certify that growers received minimum prices and community support from buyers and followed specific environmental practices. Standards aren’t as strict for organic

Free Range
Birds such as chickens are sheltered and have continuous access to the outdoors. They have unlimited access to food and water as well. However these claims aren’t certified.

Cage Free
Birds can freely roam inside a building or room with unlimited access to food and fresh water. They’re without cages but can still be packed very tightly even when organic.

Grass-fed
Animals receive most of their nutrition from grass throughout their lives but may also eat hay or grain indoors during the winter. Animals may still receive antibiotics and hormones according to the USDA.

No Added Hormones
Already true of Organic, so it’s conventional producers tend to use this term, but there is no certificate for these claims.

***************************************************
So get picky about your Organic

Filling your cart with organic food could send you into sticker shock. On average organics cost a third more than conventional produced food. Figure out what is worth it to spend the extra money

Buy your staples in the organic aisle.
Make a list of three or four things you eat everyday or most days; those are the foods you should buy organic.

Head to the frozen aisle. Whether its organic meat or organic berries frozen tends to be cheaper than fresh. And they will last longer and be more cost effective as well.

Buy in bulk. Most stores will sell organic meat and produce in large quantities. Join a whole sale store. Bj’s and Costco are in my area. Or join an organic buying club so you can spread the cost yet share the goods.

Bj’s Wholesale
Costco

20130829-231530.jpg

Advertisements